Skip to content

East Midlands Energy Efficiency

Does MEES apply to Holiday Lets and Hotel Rooms?

Generally holiday lets, together with rooms in hotels and bed & breakfast accommodation are let under a licence to occupy, rather than a tenancy.  Therefore, this type of rental property is normally outside of the scope of the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 and not required to meet the domestic MEES.

However, recent rulings relating to the need for Domestic Energy Performance Certificates on self-contained accommodation have established that some holiday lets fall within the regulations where the occupier has to meet the cost of energy bills separately from any fixed fee.

For the sake of completeness, it should be noted that if the tenancy is for the premises to allow the tenant to operate it as a business it will be subject to the non-domestic EPC regulations and MEES standard.

If there are any concerns about whether a property is occupied under a licence or a tenancy, and whether the landlord is subject to the Regulations, independent specialist legal advice should be sought.